Thursday, April 17, 2008

Analyzing the Factors

The media is a great source of information but it can also be a great source of influence. Today, different types of media can create positive or negative effects on different types of people depending on several factors. There are 7 different set point factors which can influence these media effects, and I will determine which of these factors have an influence on myself when viewing a violent film.

In order for a violent film to create an aggressive behavior in myself, there are several characteristics that must be present in the film. According to the context of portrayal factor, if a viewer can identify with a character then they are more likely to accept the meaning of the experience that was portrayed by those characters. Usually the types of characters I identify with are those who are typically the "good guys," so if the violent film involves a "good guy" who is aggressive and violent, then the probability of this media effect occurring will be increased.

Also, according to the degree of identification factor, a person pays more attention to the character they identify with. Therefore, if the film involves a character that I can identify with, such as a young female, then I am more likely to grow a stronger attachment which may ultimately create a stronger probability of the effect occurring. According to the states factor, the emotion a person is feeling at the time of viewing can potentially increase the media effect. So in order for this film to have a higher potential of creating aggression in myself, for example, I would need to watch it after I received a bad grade or got in a fight with a friend.

Although there are several factors that could create aggressive behavior in myself, there are many factors that would decrease my chances of this media effect occurring. For example, according to the socialization factor, a set point is hard to move when a person has been exposed consistently to anti-aggression norms all their life. Due to the fact that I was raised in a small safe town, I attend church, and I'm not exposed to much violence, my chances of acting aggressively after this film are very low.

The lifestyle factor refers to how active and social a person is. Being a college student, I am very busy and constantly interacting with other students and friends. I also stay busy by playing sports and dancing, these factors also reduce my chances of acting violent due to my low exposure to media.

Overall, after reviewing these 13 different factors which influence media effects, I believe that after I viewed a violent film the potential for aggressive behavior to occur would be very low. If all the necessary factors were in the film, there may be an increased chance of aggressive behavior. However, due to my background, low exposure to violence, and morals I believe that the chance of this media effect occurring is extremely low.

No comments: